Wednesday, 3 May 2017

Aberdeen

Hi everyone,

Before coming to study in Aberdeen I had never really been here. When telling people Robert Gordon's was my first choice university, most people responded with 'Why would you want to live in Aberdeen? - its so grey and boring!' I have to say I completely disagree. Aberdeen might be grey, but it is 100% not boring. It's not even really grey, it's a kind of sparkly silver. I know many people might assume that I would find Aberdeen exciting as it's a city and maybe I'm from a small town in Scotland... well no, I'm actually from Glasgow and can truthfully say I feel much more at home in Aberdeen. I'm writing this post as I've had a few friends that have been applying to uni this year completely ignore Aberdeen as a choice even though it has 2 great universities and a really good college. Most of the time their reason is: "it's boring and dull". I really think people should give Aberdeen a chance. I think since moving here 8 months ago, I can count on both hands how many times it has rained. It is a city, with a beach and countryside. It has 2 cinemas, 7 shopping centres and an arcade. It is also such a student friendly city.

Literally, just look at this beach. Would you EVER think that this was Aberdeen? It's amazing being in such close proximity to the sea.

















I also think the buildings in Aberdeen are so beautiful. As Aberdeen is known as the 'Granite City', most of the buildings are made out of granite and are very intricately designed. Google 'Nandos, Belmont Street, Aberdeen' if you want an example... If you ever needed a little inspiration in the city all you need to do is look up.



Both of these buildings are just typical examples of what you would find outside your door in Aberdeen.

One of my favourite things about Aberdeen is the street artwork. On just about very street you walk down there is some sort of hidden painting somewhere. This art really adds to the trendy, student-y, modern feel of the city. It's kind of like a secret only the residents know to look for.

























All these anonymous pieces of work really add to the friendly and funky atmosphere.

I've always been really patriotic towards Scotland... specifically to Glasgow. I never thought that I would feel so dedicated to another city but I am definitely just as strongly patriotic to Aberdeen and I have absolutely no regrets about my university choice and my city choice.

Much love,
Cat x

No comments:

Post a Comment